Monday, March 21, 2011

Holy Wah!

<--- What do you see this as?  That's the question of the century... or of the moment
If one goes to type in Google, "Left-handed blogs," one will be utterly amazed (Or, I suppose "amaze" isn't accurate for everyone) at all of them.  While I am certainly just a left-handed wannabe, there are Legitimate stories about the struggles of being a southpaw.  


 Are you a left-hander?  Don't doubt your capabilities!  Take the test.  Go ahead.  Do it.

http://www.beinglefthanded.com/Left-Handed-Test.html 

I just asked the left-handed classmate to my right (Dana) to draw a circle... I watched intently.  Next, was to find a right-handed person (Katrina) to draw a circle.  She too did it counter-clockwise.  Hmm.  Interesting. 

I can't attribute this information to research at Harvard or even Yale, but I did find that the chance of being a left-handed kiddo when your parents are right-handed is just 2%.  However, when one's parents are both left-handed, the kiddo's shot at being a southpaw jumps to 42%... still less than half.
"While being left handed isn’t a big deal anymore, once upon a time it was extremely frowned upon. For instance, in India and Indonesia, it is considered extremely impolite to eat with the left hand, as this is the hand that is used to “cleanse” oneself. Therefore, the left hand is considered dirty. In addition, teachers in America used to slap the wrists of students who attempted to write with their left hands.
Aside from past ridicule of society, lefties also face many other struggles when it comes to using scissors, knives, cameras, tools, watches, etc. Every one of these objects need the complete opposite design in order to accommodate the needs of a lefty. Fortunately, left handers of today are treated with much more consideration, and virtually any tool can be designed for left handed individuals.
Therefore, if you use your left hand over your right, or your child does, this is quite natural, and shouldn’t be something for you to worry about. Just make sure that you provide your child with all of the help they need to make the most of their abilities. Remember, there is nothing wrong about being left handed, event though it can sometimes prove to be difficult in a world with a predominant right handed population."

4 comments:

  1. When you draw a circle with your left and your right hand do you do it the left handed way or right handed way????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm biased now. Perhaps even corrupt. muahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is left-handed, and her mom was left-handed, but back then, like you said, it was frowned upon and thought to be a sign of the Devil. The nuns at my grandmother's Catholic school slapped her wrists until she became right-handed. How strange! Luckily, my mom didn't have to go through anything like that with her left-handedness.

    I write with my right hand, but I form all my letters upside down, like a left-handed person. I absolutely cannot write with my left hand though. I've tried and all that happens is I scribble all over the page like a toddler. I wish you luck in the rest of your project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good research. I like the factual basis of this post to give a sturdy foundation to the rest of your works. kudos!

    ReplyDelete